Jul 16, 2015

Derek Jeter : ESPYS' Icon Award

Derek Jeter : ESPYS' Icon Award
Derek Jeter : ESPYS' Icon Award


Actor Ben Affleck presented the retired Yankees legend and future Hall of Famer with the ESPYS' Icon Award Wednesday night.

Jeter retired last season after spending 20 years as the jewel of the Yankees, winning five World Series titles. He's still arguably New York City's most popular athlete, and baseball's most recognizable face.

Here's what Affleck said before welcoming Jeter on stage:
"There was something about him that made the boos ring a little hollow. Maybe it was imitable class. Maybe it was that he won with dignity and lost with grace. Maybe it was that we knew no matter what, he was a winner regardless. Boston sports fans can be many things, but we know baseball, and we respect those who play the game the way it was meant to be played.

"He broke my heart 100 times if not more. And he broke it agains when he retired because he was absolutely one of the very best to play the game of baseball. So you you, Derek Jeter, I tip my hat and I thank you for every moment of his incredible career."

And Jeter had a little fun with Affleck after accepting the award:
"I know it pained him to say every one of those words. So thank you very much. I've had a special relationship with my fans and my teammates over the last 20 years. But in retirement, I've come to realize that being part of the larger community of sports is a gift and, more importantly, it's an honor.

"When you're playing, you have fans and you have teammates who root for you. You have your opponents and your rivals, they motivate you. But for me it was always the fellow athletes from all different sports that inspired me. So I just want to take this moment to thank everyone here and congratulate all the athletes, the winners ,the nominees, because you all deserve it. You've inspired me for years. You continue to inspire me."

 Cr. NJ ,bangkok21st ,Synergy | Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment